Monday, October 1, 2018

Week 3

Experiment
My experiment for this week can be found at this link: Experiment. My experiment name is "Fun Balls" and it creates a new ball every time the user clicks inside the canvas. My inspiration for this project was screen savers on computers.

Readings

I found the bot or not website to be quite fun and found that it was hard to determine whether or not a poem was written by a bot or person. I feel that since the bots are programmed by humans, in a way, the poems are still "human-written". This could be potentially why it is hard to distinguish human and bot written programs.

I thought the context free grammar was interesting because it formalizes a way to create sentence structures. It also makes me wonder if the bots used in "bots or not" uses this structure or if they use a grammar-free structure. Additionally, if personal home assistants like Alexa use these language rules, does it make it easier or harder for them to interpret improper grammar or slang from users?

In "Digital Oulipo", it was interesting to read how early practitioners of digital language arts used math to form literature and poems. Coming from a quantitative background, I always thought of math and language arts to be quite separate as math relies on logic whereas art is more free-form and emotional. Thus, it is pretty cool to see how art is created through a mathematical process.

No comments:

Post a Comment