Sunday, October 21, 2018

Week 6

Experiment

My experiment can be found here: DLA Experiment - Week 6
My experiment is a blend of language and code related to Halloween and Spooktober!
Readings

I thought "Opinions of my Own" was a really cool Chrome Extension and a great idea. I feel that in today's society, many companies and other entities are harvesting our data for their own purposes. I believe that, as a society, we do not fully appreciate the importance of our digital data/privacy, which allows third parties to gather our information and invade our personal privacy. I hope that more people will be aware of how important their data is and take more measures to protect it.

I think that language becomes data when the original meaning/intent of the language becomes stripped away. For example, a person's twitter account gives them a means of expression. However, if someone is scraping their tweet history, each tweet is just another data point rather than a form of language.

I believe we can ethically use online textual data by only using public sources where the user(s) agree that their data may be used. In these cases, the user should be fully aware of how their data is used and the person using their data must explicitly tell the user(s) what data they are using and how they are using it.

No comments:

Post a Comment