Monday, November 12, 2018

Week 9 Readings

I thought that the "Machine Translation and Global English" paper brought up really good points about the state of NLP projects and the problems we are trying to solve using NLP. I like the idea of having a "Global English" language because it solves some of the big problems in translation, mainly, meanings get lost through translation. I thought that this was interesting because in my week 1 experiment, the meaning of the lyrics got lost after I translated it multiple times through Google Translate.

Similarly, I thought "Algorithmic Adaptations" was pretty cool because it was similar to my project as well. It explores how the translation algorithm translates things by utilizing blanks. I thought it was a pretty cool idea because I didn't realize before how missing words can drastically change the meaning of a sentence and that by excluding them, it can be tricky for the translation algorithm to get a proper read on the meaning of the sentence.

No comments:

Post a Comment